Maybe because the Left is completely wrong about this. I have been in the left for a very long time and right now they are still saying what they used to say fifty years ago. In the 1950s the French CP was having a campaign about the pauperization of the working class, meaning only the blue collar workers. Unluckily for this left that still says the same thing the blue collar working class has disappeared or been transformed into a very light blue closing up on the white-collar working class and the main segment of the yellow vests mobilization is composed of unemployed people, retirees, and marginal activists registered nowhere. A “philosopher,” more sadistic than masochistic, is even predicting that it is this population that is “out of work” that will take over society and impose their choices. They represent about 20 or 25% of our society, all included. In the 1980s the socialist party was building a secondary school system for 80% of the young teenagers concerned, leaving 20% of the young totally out of the system. They have succeeded.

Written by

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, PhD in Germanic Linguistics (University Lille III) and ESP Teaching (University Bordeaux II) has been teaching all types of ESP

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store